- Rethinking news algorithms: nudging users towards diverse news exposure, 2020-2024. Coordinated by VU (Antske Fokkens). Funded by NWO in the call ‘Open competitie voor digitalisering‘.
- SENTENCES: Social mEdia aNalysis To promotE caNCEr Screening, 2020-2024. Coordinated by the University of Amsterdam (Gert-Jan de Bruijn). Funded by ZonMW in the call ‘Vroege Opsporing’.
- BEL (Behaviour, Energy transition, Low income): “Tenants’ behavioural responses to residential energy transition: are intended energy savings feasible?”, 2020-2024. Coordinated by TUe (Ioulia Ossokina). Funded by NWO in the call ‘Transities en Gedrag’.
- DoSSIER: Domain Specific Systems for Information Extraction and Retrieval (co-applicant), 2020-2024. Funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Innovative Training Networks (ITN) programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions
- RISE_SMA: Social Media Analytics for Society and Crisis Communication (co-applicant), 2019-2022. Funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement
- Curriculum Development in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence / DS&AI, 2019-2021. Funded by the Erasmus+ programme, Key Action 2: Cooperation for innovation and the exchange of good practices.
Current projects with bachelor and master students are listed here.
PhD projects supervised
- Amin Abolghasemi: Graph browsing for professional search (2021-now, LIACS, H2020 DoSSIER project)
- Arian Askari: User profiling for professional search: towards explainable legal Information Retrieval (2020-now, LIACS, H2020 DoSSIER project)
- Xue Wang: Constructing a Unified Knowledge Base by joint Deep Learning from images and text (2019-now, LIACS, CSC project)
- Juan Bascur Cifuentes: Interactive visual browsing and retrieval of scientific literature (2019-now, collaboration with CWTS)
- Anne Dirkson: Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining from patient experience repositories (2018-now, collaboration with LUMC)
- Hugo de Vos: PolicyDoc: text mining from European Union documents (2017-now, collaboration with FGGA)
- Alex Brandsen: Digging in Documents. Utilizing text mining to access the hidden knowledge in archeological grey literature (2017-now, collaboration with Faculty of Archaeology)
- Gineke Wiggers: Measuring Relevance and Relations of Dutch Legal Publications (2017-now, collaboration with Faculty of Law)
- Maya Sappelli: Knowledge Work in Context: User Centered Knowledge Worker Support (2011-2016, Institute for Computing and Information Sciences, Radboud University)
- Eva D’hondt: Cracking the Patent: Using phrasal features to aid patent classification (2009-2014, Centre for Language Studies, Radboud University)
External PhD students supervised
- Anne Fleur van Luenen, UvA, co-supervised with Gert-Jan de Bruin on the ZonMW project SENTENCES: Social Media Analysis to Promote Cancer Screening (2020-now)
- Myrthe Reuver, VU, co-supervised with Antske Fokkens on the NWO project Rethinking news algorithms: nudging users towards diverse news exposure (2020-now)
- Sophia Althammer, TU Wien, co-supervised with Allan Hanbury on the project Information in Production, part of the H2020 DoSSIER project (2020-now)
- Stephanie Segura, University of Sheffield, co-supervised with Elaine Toms on the project Tasks in the Enterprise, part of the H2020 DoSSIER project (2021-now)
- Digital tools for knowledge extraction for (rare) cancers (co-applicant), Voucher project funded by the Ministry of Health. With 4 cancer patient communities, in collaboration with TNO.
- SmartFile: from keyboard to patient, and the follow-up project, ‘Learning from registration’, (co-applicant), in collaboration with Hogeschool Codarts, the startup company ‘SmartFile’, 10 sports physiotherapy practices and the Dutch Association for Physical Therapy in Sport Healthcare (Funded by RAAK-SIA)
- The reach of junk news on Facebook, in collaboration with Nieuwscheckers.
- Empowerment of patients (co-applicant), pilot project for hypothesis generation based on text mining from patient forums, in collaboration with TNO and LUMC (funded by SIDN)
- DISCOSUMO: Discussion Thread Summarization for Mobile Devices (financed by NWO Creative Industries), with Tilburg University and Sanoma Media BV (2015-2019)
- Wisdom of the crowds, Patient empowerment in online support communities (casus 3) (co-applicant), with RIVM and Kanker.nl (2016)
- PFM: Patient forum mining (co-applicant), with TNO and Levenmetkanker.nl, financed by SIDN (2016)
- QUINN (main applicant): Query Updates for News moNitoring (financed by a COMMIT valorization grant), with TNO and LexisNexis (2015)
- SWELL: smart reasoning systems for well-being at work and at home (financed by COMMIT), with TNO, Philips, Noldus, University of Twente, Roessingh R&D, Innovalor, and Sense/Almende (2012-2016)
- RemBench (main applicant): A Digital Workbench for Rembrandt Research (financed by CLARIN-NL), with Huygens ING and RKD (2013-2014)
- Rembrandt Documents: A new digital infrastructure for accessing, analysing, and interpreting original written and printed documents related to the life and art of the world-renowned Dutch painter Rembrandt van Rijn (1606-1669), with Huygens ING and the Rembrandthuis Museum (2012-2013).
- PoliticalMashup: Automatic classification of political texts, with University of Amsterdam (2012-2013)
- Route 66 explorative text mining, for De Baak (2012)
- ComPoli: Communicatie en revalidatie digiPoli, with Sint Maartenskliniek (2011-2012)
- Extracting Factoids from Dutch texts (main applicant), financed by a Google European Digital Humanities Award (2011-2012)
- Inventarisatie TST en Onderwijs, for Nederlandse TaalUnie (2011)
- Feasibility study speech synthesis, for Dedicon (2011)
- TM4IP: Text Mining for Intellectual Property, financed by MatrixWare (2009-2011)
- In Search of the Why, PhD project (2005-2009)