Skip to content
- Invited talks “Text mining for health knowledge discovery”:
- Women in Data Science (WiDS) symposium, Leiden, May 13, 2022
- eScience center, Natural Language Processing SIG Meeting, May 30, 2022
- Emerging technologies in medicine (ETIM): Artificial Intelligence and Bioinformatics, Essen, Germany, June 10, 2022
- Invited talk in the Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and Law: “Explainable Legal Information Retrieval”, May 31, 2021 (online)
- Keynote lecture in the PhD seminar of CIEM – Centre for Integrated Emergency Management: “Social media analytics: combining text and network data”, April 15, 2021 (online)
- Invited talk at Georgetown CS: “Explainable Information Retrieval”, March 12, 2021 (online, on YouTube)
- Invited talk in the Glasgow Information Retrieval group seminar: “Explainable Information Retrieval” , December 7, 2020 (online)
- Invited speaker in the The Tenth International Conference and Workshop on High Dimensional Data Analysis (ICW-HDDA-X) 2020: “Social media analytics: combining text and network data”, October 13, 2020 (online).
- Invited speaker in the Lorentz workshop “the future on academic lexicography”, November 5, 2019. Slides
- Invited speaker for the event ‘DIT WORDT HET NIEUWS‘, on the future of journalism.
- Evaluating Complex Information Needs.
Invited talk in the Interaction in Information Retrieval workshop, 13 February 2019, Glasgow.
- Het nieuwe zoeken voor informatieprofessionals (in Dutch, view on slideshare).
Lecture at the KNVI conference for information professionals, December 2018.
- Kanker.nl & Data Science (in Dutch, view on slideshare).
Lecture at 5-year anniversary of kanker.nl, a national information platform for cancer patients, June 2018.
- Empowerment processes in discussion groups, the use of text mining for analysis of discussion forums.
Talk in the Symposium on Digitale (big) data en gezondheidscommunicatie, Amsterdam Center for Health Communication (ACHC), June 2018
- Automatische classificatie van teksten (in Dutch, view on slideshare).
Lecture during VOGIN-IP (national conference for information professionals), 28 March 2018
- Tutorial on word2vec (view on slideshare) during “Vectors and Linguistics: a workshop on word embeddings” at the Leiden Centre for Digital Humanities, March 2018
- Maakte Rembrandt wel eens een lachende selfie? (in Dutch).
Lecture at the Universiteit van Nederland (watch video)
- Personalized information search.
Talk during national eScience symposium, session on the Future of Machine Learning, 12 October 2017
- Computationeel denken.
Talk during DHClinics for librarians (in Dutch, view on slideshare), 26 September 2017
- Automatic summarization of online discussions.
Talk at Data Science Northeast Netherlands, 16 February 2017
- Automatische classificatie van teksten.
Tutorial during NOTaS-meeting at the National Archives (In Dutch, view on slideshare), 20 September 2016
- Extractive summarization of discussion forum threads
Talk at University of Groningen, March 2016
- Leer je digitale klanten kennen: hoe zoeken ze en wat vinden ze? (View on slideshare)
Talk at “Inspiratiedag digitale klantenkunde”, Archief 2.0, March 2013
- Automatic classification of political texts.
Talk at TextKernel, July 2012
- Search engines for the humanities that go beyond Google.
Invited talk at the Brainstorm Meeting on e-Humanities, March 2011 (view on slideshare)
- Search engines beyond Google.
Talk at the CLS colloquium, December 2010
- Krijgen we ooit de beschikking over slimme zoektechnologie?.
Talk at “Kennis in Praktijk” conference, June 2010 (view on slideshare)
- In Search of the Why.
Talk in the Humanities Computing Group, University of Groningen, June 2010
- In Search of the Why.
Talk in the CLG Seminar, University of Wolverhampton, February 2010
- Using Structural Information for Improving Why-QA.
Talk in the DB Colloquium, Twente University, September 2008
- Improving why-QA: re-ranking answers using syntactic features.
Talk in the ILPS Seminar, University of Amsterdam, February 2008
- Paragraph Retrieval for why-question answering.
Talk in the ILK meeting, University of Tilburg, October 2007
- Exploring discourse structure for why-QA.
Talk in the panel on Discourse-structure annotation schemes for text corpora, 10th International Pragmatics Conference, Göteborg, Sweden, July 2007