Dr. Kristian F. D. Rietveld
Assistant Professor, Systems and Security group
E-mail: k.f.d.rietveld(at)liacs.leidenuniv.nl (or krietvel (at) liacs.nl)
Snellius Gebouw Universiteit Leiden
Room 138 (first floor)
Niels Bohrweg 1
2333 CA Leiden
Leiden University, LIACS
P.O. Box 9512
2300 RA Leiden
I am an Assistant Professor in the Systems and Security group at LIACS. My research interests are high performance computing (HPC), performance analysis and optimization, parallel and distributed computing, optimizing compiler techniques, sparse matrices and database systems. Simply put, I am fascinated by all kinds of techniques that improve the speed by which computers can perform computations. I work on problems that are more fundamental in nature, such as generic program transformation techniques for automatic performance optimization, but also on more hands-on problems, for example performance optimization of scientific data processing workflows to help scientists obtain the results they need in less time. With my master students I have worked on various other problems in computer systems, which have also led to peer-reviewed publications, such as scanning RISC platforms for undocumented instructions and designing a compiler that is fully executed on the GPU.
Before turning to academia, I obtained professional experience as Lead Software Engineer and System Administrator. As software engineer, I am especially experienced in shared library maintenance (API and ABI compatibility) and working on open source software in open communities. In the past I have been a member of the GTK+ development team for over a decade.
- Computerarchitectuur, Najaar 2023. (BrightSpace course)
- Basics of Computer Systems and Networks, Fall 2023. (BrightSpace course)
Program Committees and Journal Reviews
- Program Committee Member SHiPS23: 1st International Workshop on the Environmental Sustainability of High-Performance Software at SC23.
- Program Committee Member CompSys 2023.
- Program Committee Member ARRAY 2023 workshop at PLDI.
- Program Committee Member 2nd Annual Compiler Frontiers Workshop (2023)
- Reviewer for International Journal of Parallel Programming (IJPP), 2022
- Program Committee Member HiPC 2022, HPC Track
- Program Committee Member CompSys 2022.
- Program Committee Member ACM Computing Frontiers 2022
- Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Computing (TPDS), 2021
- Reviewer for International Journal of Parallel Programming (IJPP), 2021
- Program Committee Member HiPC 2021, HPC Track
- Program Committee Member ACM Computing Frontiers 2021
- Program Committee Member ACM Computing Frontiers 2020
- Program Committee Member ACM Computing Frontiers 2019
- Reviewer for ACM Transactions on Database Systems (TODS), 2017
- General Co-Chair, ACM International Conference on Computing Frontiers, 2023
- Publicity Co-Chair, International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS) 2023
- Member of the Steering Committee of the ACM International Conference on Computing Frontiers, 2016 — present
- Publications Co-Chair ACM International Conference on Computing Frontiers 2020, 2021, 2022
- Web Chair, ACM International Conference on Computing Frontiers 2015 – 2020